2.12.2012

What's for dinner...

This morning I woke up and thought, "I should make David some of that homemade potato soup he loves"...then this popped into my head...



THEN today at church, we went to the Family History Sunday School class for our new assignment as ward indexers. We're pretty excited about it. :) Anyway, we went around the room and introduced ourselves and had to say what our least favorite food was...and someone said chicken noodle soup! Unheard of right? Well I instantly turned to David and said "I hate when my wife makes soup for dinner..." and he burst into laughter...so irreverent, I know. Then he asked, "but seriously what's for dinner?"...and I looked at him, thinking of my thought this morning and said "soup". He kind of giggled a little and I said, "but seriously".

Now, David is usually like the man above...and doesn't think soup is a meal, but this soup that I experimented with one day, he LOVES and actually requests it. So, we went home, took a little nap and I made him his soup for dinner. It was delicious, even though we didn't have real onions and I had to substitute it for onion soup mix. :) It's super easy and SO yummy! Here's the recipe:
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 4 cups cubed potatoes
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, and set aside. Drain all but 3 tablespoons bacon fat from the pan.
  2. Brown onions in bacon fat over medium heat.
  3. Add potatoes, and enough water to cover. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. Stir together soup and milk until smooth; add to potato mixture. Heat, but do not boil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir in dill weed. Crumble bacon; stir in just before serving soup, or sprinkle on top to garnish.
David made some yummy cheese quesadillas to dip in the soup and we are happy and full! :)

In other news:
-we've been married for 3 months now!
-we will celebrate our first Valentine's Day together on Tuesday :)
-we are both working and schooling really hard (it's midterms this week!)
-Lauren loves working with the toddlers on campus (duh)
-David still jams on his guitar and frequently makes up hilarious songs about....anything he can think of.
-we have some VERY interesting neighbors (if you'd like those stories talk to me in person)
-we had a visit from Carrie the Michelle last weekend and it was AWESOME!
-this weekend we will have Meagan visiting for her first ever massage party (HOLLER!)
-We still love life and love each other!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the shout out my sheashah!! Pops says to tell you he loves soup too....so I guess I shall have to make your recipe for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laurlita, Pyper requested Potato soup for tomorrow. Then we read your blog and watched I hate soup. Bahahahah loved it. We will try your recipe! Dad said he does not hate soup for dinner. Whew!

    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laur! I pushed play on that video, and my whole family flocked to the computer. We all laughed (Oaklie laughed just because every one else was laughing). Good post sista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you all be so funny all the time. Dagnabit. Imma hafta step up ma game.

    Also. You two sound like you are excellent at being married. Good job.

    ReplyDelete